Matariki ‘Reserve’ Hawke’s Bay Merlot/Cabernet 2011

Merlot from New Zealand - Hawke's Bay
Review Date : 26-Feb-2017
Dark garnet-red colour with good depth, lighter on the rim with brick hues. The bouquet is soft and gently voluminous with aromas of savoury dark-red berry fruit along with lifted cedar notes and a harmonious layer of dark and dried herbs and earthy elements. Medium-bodied, the palate has moderately deep flavours of red plum and berry fruit harmoniously entwined with dried herbs and subtle earthy elements, unfolding some cedary oak. The fruit is supported by fine, supple tannin extraction and oft, integrated acidity enabling accessibility. The wine flows easily to a gentle finish of red plum fruit, dried herbs and oak cedar. This is an accessible, supple Merlot-blend with red plum and berry fruit with dried herb and cedar notes. Match with barbecued red meats and casseroles over the next 3-4 years. A blend of 87% Merlot, 8% Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc, and 5% Syrah, the fruit almost totally from the Gimblett Gravels, fermented to 13.0% alc., the wine aged 18 months in barrel with approx. 20% new oak equivalence. 17.0+/20 Feb 2017 RRP $36.00

SUBSCRIBE
Latest wine reviews, news, events and more. 🍷
We respect your privacy.